7/30/07

Complete Stand-Still

Listen to the ambience around you.

You hear that? That's the sound of me right now. Ambience. Near-silence.

My mind has stopped coming up with anything creative, I'm resorting to little kid lines, doing more and more simplistic music and lyrics, driving me to the point of writer's block.

I'm writing this on a laptop (that someone was kind enough to lend me) in a diner right across the street from the Point. A couple of men are peering around at their surroundings, most likely stuck in the same position as me. One has a guitar, seeming desperate to write something. He's in probably his mid 30's, and he looks well past his prime. He would never get his chance at stardom now, which is what you can tell he clearly wants. Another sips his coffee and has a pen in hand, writing what is almost guaranteed to be lyrics. 5 minutes later, he's out of the diner, and most likely out of town too.

Writer's Block Point is not a pretty sight. It's views are covered with murky fog, it's waters are green and brown, and nothing can really inspire you out here. But this is where my music has brought me, and I have to wait for it to drive me back. Home, to where I can actually start coming up with complex chord progressions and lyrics that aren't so shallow.

The water is shallow here at the Point. There's no one here, everyone that drives by, drives by in disgust. Lyrics that come to my head here slowly evaporate into the thick air. It's like the fog sucks it out of my head almost. This low atmosphere's starting to bring me down a little bit.

Writer's block has given me inspiration to write before, but this time, it's really punishing me. So maybe I can write something about not being able to write anything. It might be a few more days before they finally think I've learned my lesson, it might be a few hours, but for now, my music and lyrics are making sure that I can't write anything.

A waitress's cigarette smoke is distracting me, so I have to get out of this shabby restaurant and go back to waiting. Maybe I can finally wake up from this nightmare now.

~-~

No comments: