8/7/11

the sixth song


Oh it’s raining in December

And there’s not a single book that’s left unread

Except the phone book

Which gets smaller every year

Because there’s no one to talk to

So I’ll sit forever

through today

And wish the air would freeze the past in place

Because I’m not sure if I’ve gained or lost a friend.

Oh the slush forms in the driveway

And the clouds are piling thicker denser still

(I hate myself) oh everything went wrong

The words were meant to save and not to kill

So I’ll feel helpless

for today

And expect tomorrow to be more of the same

No, I’m not sure if I’ve gained or lost a friend

Well, everything’s been answered and

I know that I have nothing left to say

It’s hard to keep my head up

When I saw you driving so very far away

The grass is showing through the snow

The sun showed up just to say goodnight

Oh rest in peace you restless angels

Bear only love and mercy when it comes time

So I’ll sit forever

Through today

Watch the seasons pass without end

Because I’m not sure if I’ve gained or lost a friend

No comments: