6/17/07

Brigade

I realized recently that I need to have more upbeat, faster-paced songs. I tried, but everything on my piano sounds downbeat. So then I came to Brigade. It's one of those old-sounding songs that sounds like it could be from the 50s. It's such a basic song, just standard F blues progression, and it works. It's not my style but it works.

It's pretty much about this guy that has the worst day of his life. He goes to a parade and accidentally falls into it. Ouch. Then he goes to a nearby cafe, spills his drink on the waitress and runs out embarrassed. Finally, he gets pulled over by a cop. He's speechless because of how bad his day has gone, but the cop doesn't know why he's not talking so he locks him up. Sounds like a great day to me...

In between the 2nd and 3rd verse, it's slowed down and I do a little blues solo.

Not much else going on around the house right now. Waiting for school to finally get over. Canobie Lake Park on Tuesday, pretty excited for that. (For all you non-New Hampshire people that may be reading this, it's an amusement park. I would never be thrilled about going to an actual park.)

SYMS next month. (Summer Youth Music School, week long music summer camp at UNH.) I'm pretty well screwed for that camp. They do not take to rock musicians very well as I found out last year. Last year, I played Bohemian Rhapsody. Every other performance was classical, except for some kid that did a really simple jazz song.

And honestly, I'm not that great at jazz, blues, or classical music and I'm pretty much dyslexic when it comes to sight reading. The way I see it, I have two options: I could learn something in a month, or I could just go in there as the "rebel" and rock out on the pianos. Something that gives me a little faith is that fact that last year, I saw a kid with a teacher playing Hey Jude by the Beatles, so there might be some type of thing for kids like me. I can only hope that there's a program in that camp.

~-~

No comments: