9/19/07

Sick to the Stomach

I know this is gonna sound lame and boring and you probably think you've heard it a thousand times before, it's just I'm mad as hell about what I eavesdropped today.

Out back from where I live there's these housing complexes. And I never really hear anything from out there except for a few kids playing around.


But today when I was walking home I heard some old drunken bastard yelling at a little girl. Judging by the screams and cries that the little girl was giving out, I'm guessing that she was 4 or 5. The man even swore at the girl I think once or twice. "Get DOWN! GET THE FUCK OFF OF THERE! GET DOWN!"


I wanted to yell out to that guy to leave her alone, but it's that fear of not knowing. I figured I was better off not interfering and just leaving the situation alone. Even as I walked home and thought I was out of earshot, I still heard that man and the cries in response. I'm a machine. My autopilot's on. Walk forward. Pay no mind. Go home. Sit down. The exact thing I want to avoid in life. I have become. Ignorant.


And now I feel guilty.


How can you just yell at a little girl and make her scream and cry? That girl is going to grow up to be traumatized for the rest of her life if this happens day after day.


They're still finding out what the world is. And if they are yelled at like this old drunked bastard did... so aggresively and so uncaringly... so unlovingly... then they'll grow up to be something different then they were meant to be.

Drug dealers.
Prostitutes.
Robbers.
Murderers.
Dead.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

~-~

No comments: