1/7/11

#25:

Note

But when I lift my voice up now to reach them,
the range is too high, way up in heaven. - Conor Oberst

Y'know that old woman, Ethel from...
Oak Street, I think it is?
Her daughter was telling me about how
she wanted to join the choir
a couple years back:

Every single day, she'd lock herself
in her room
and practice for hours,
but her voice would always catch at the last "Amen".

She didn't stop trying (for a while)
but time after time
her voice would shift when she tried reaching
"that damned high note", she'd call it.

One night,
she finally gave it a rest:
put away the sheet music,
sat on her empty bed,
cried her brains out,
and popped too many pills.

She detoxed in the hospital for a week after.
Ethel's fine now, I assume, but
I didn't hear about it until the other day.
Oh, make sure to tell Cathy,
I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it.

No comments: