4/16/08

smile (it's awesome)

Warning: I'm about to describe one of my songs with as much detail as I possibly can. If you want to be surprised, then I suggest that you don't read this post.

I may have said that Cyanide Lightyear is my masterpiece, but I wasn't thinking about Smile (It's Morning) when I said that. If Cyanide Lightyear is my masterpiece, then Smile is my epic opus.

The song clocks in at about 11 minutes. The first minute is a repeating theme. The theme's done 4 times in 15 second intervals for a minute. It's sort of like the prologue of a story. At the one minute mark, the first melody plays, right hand only. The second time the left hand joins, but there's no rhythm. The third time, the left hand has rhythm and I hum quietly along with the melody. The fourth time, everything repeats, except for that the melody has a slight variation to it. The fifth time, octaves in the right hand, rhythm in the left hand. Sixth time, everything repeats, except for the slight variation of the melody again. This section feels really insignificant throughout most of the song until the end when it all ties back in.

This section leads into another one. The meat of the song, if you will. After a little improvisation, I start singing. (Last time I timed it, I started singing at 3:40)
It's morning
Wake up with my mouth half open
Half shut
It's time to get up
And say goodbye to everyone
Leave the door
Half shut

A little more improvisation.

Atomic bomb dream
Can't seem to process it
In my head
Half shut
(LOUD + CLIMACTIC)
It's morning
I'm sick of the same shit
That I always seem to get
Half shut

More loud and climacticness...

Talk back to the world
I dare you.

From there, the song enters yet ANOTHER new section. This is the transition between the original theme and the theme just played. It's the darkest part of the song, it could almost be a song in itself if I wanted it to be.

One left goes right
Two rights go north
Three rights go left
...Four lefts go nowhere.

The song builds up for a minute, and then dies out again. I then throw in a dissonant chord, which you don't really get until it ties back in with the second section (part after the 'prologue'). After minutes of feeling lost and confused, you're back to where you started. From there, the song once again builds up to a climax and stops on a very high F6. From there, broken F chords all the way down to the middle. And then a rootless G chord in both hands. Quite the anticlimactic ending to a rather epic and climactic song.

If this made no sense to you, then I guess it's for the better.
I can't wait until you hear this.

~-~

No comments: