4/18/07

Why News Shouldn't Exist

I thought all this out last night, just laying down in my bed.

Why does news exist? I played out this debate in my head:

Me: You are not affiliated with anyone that was directly affected by the recent drug bust?
Someone: No, I'm not.
Me: But you are aware of it?
Someone: Yes.
Me: Where did you find out?
Someone: The papers.
Me: Are you going to care about it three weeks from now?
Someone: No, probably not.
Me: So why care now?

Why care now? That's the question I don't seem to get an answer to, leading me to believe that the news serves no purpose in society.

Is it that important that we know a bank gets robbed? No! Because the cops will eventually find the person responsible. Sure, it would help with our security so we don't get robbed, but what are the actual odds that the same person would come after you? Next to none. Which leads me to believe that not only does news serve no purpose in society, it also instills paranoia and fear.

Another example: Tour extensions. Is it that important that we know that, if everyone concerned was already notified? I mean, if a soldier found out that his tour of duty was going to be extended by 3 months via news, then that would show that the government is not doing their job.

And it doesn't help us, the public, it helps terrorists. I have noticed several occasions where the information on World News Tonight could have been jotted down by terrorist groups and then used against us.

Good news is a different story, because it can be used to cheer us up.

But all bad news does is make us sorry for living in our country. And bad news takes up 27 minutes out of 30 in the program.

No comments: