10/12/07

Before you're comatose...

Mood: spasmodic

Listening to: Jigsaw Falling into Place


The dark sky mulled over our bus on the way back. The whole race was small. 37 people ran.

The surroundings were eerie: the drenched grass still-stained yellow, the air heavy. thunder from the morning in the far distance. The sun behind the clouds when I started the race.

The sun slowly setting as I finished the race. Trees standing 50 feet tall, blocking the sky from my view as I kept my eyes affixed dead ahead at my destination. People in front. No one behind. Or at least I don't think so. I never lookedback. Too asleep to focus on anything except for what lie ahead: the turnaround. Then, the finish.

Open spaces big enough to fit 15 people in, closed spaces narrow enough for barely one. Open. Closed. Open. Closed. Rocks. Up Loop down. Rocks. Closed. Open. Closed. Open.

Hair in my ears drowned out any other sound. I was deaf. My eyes watered. I was blind. My mouth sewn shut from driness. I was mute. My brain shut down at some point. I had to do a couple of checks to make sure that my mind was still in my head. No response. The only things working were my legs.

The most beautiful 24 minutes of my life.

~-~

No comments: