10/10/07

In Rainbows: My Review

Being a huge fan of Radiohead since around February 18, 2007, I've been anticipating this album for 8 months now. The wait payed off.

15 Step is about as electronic as the album gets. With a multi-cultural feel and kids cheering in the background, it's up there with 2 + 2 = 5 as the best Radiohead album opener. It really, really got me excited for the rest of the album.

All I Need is my favorite song. The drums are so catchy and smooth and it just builds up to this beautiful, wonderful euphoric excellence. I wanted the crescendo to last longer, and at a mere 3:30, it leaves you wanting more. But all in all, it's just unbelievable. Thom's vocals are absolutely beautiful.

Faust Arp is the shortest song and acoustic, but it's definitely still Radiohead. The guitar almost pulses as Thom mumbles melodically. It ties for my second favorite with Jigsaw Falling into Place.

Videotape is a struggle to listen through the first time. It's similar to Cymbal Rush because it has some offbeat thing about it that doesn't really fit in with the rest of the song. Not NEARLY as good of a closer as Motion Picture Soundtrack, The Tourist, Wolf at the Door, Blow Out, Street Spirit, or Life in a Glasshouse, but is still sweet. The lyrics are sad, and people have been freaking out by saying "Oh no this might be the end of Radiohead because it's almost like they're saying goodbye blah blah blah" . I doubt it. Judging by all the stuff they had on that board, I expect another album to come out by them before the decade's over.

I think that they might have done Videotape like this so the people that got only the download want more and get the discbox. I'm not getting the discbox, and I'm definitely not getting illegally, so I'm stuck.

The rest of the album is great, but seeing as how I'm not listening to the songs as I'm doing this review (something you shouldn't do when you're reviewing) I'm not going indepth on them. You gotta hear it for yourself.

I can't think of one song that I don't like on here, except for maybe Videotape. It WILL get better with every listen, of that I'm sure, but at 2 listens, it has yet to grow on me.

And that's my 2 cents on what might be the best album of the year.

~-~

1 comment:

Jay said...

WHERE BE THE COMMENTS?