11/9/07

Guitar Hero III: My First Review

The second one will come after I get the game for Christmas and actually beat it.

This time around, I played the songs that I wanted to play at a friend's house and I gotta say, I'm contemplating whether it's as solid as its predecessors. I figure maybe a review will help me settle my decision.

FIRST TRIES:

~32% Knights of Cydonia- It's like the Misirlou of this game only it's longer and harder. And I actually like the song in the first place.
73% One- 6 minutes in is absolute suicide.
~82% Cult of Personality- people were impersonating 'New York' so I broke down laughing and stopped playing.
1% Through the Fire and Flames- 0_0

But hey! I passed Cherub Rock, Suck My Kiss, and Bulls on Parade on my first try!

QUALITIES:

Animation: 4/10- to make a long description short: the singer is more detailed (and simultaneously uglier) than the guitarists, the bassist hasn't changed all that much, and the drummer... oh the drummer. He looks like a frickin' automatron. You can't expect that much from Neversoft though.

Songs: 10/10- This time around, they've dropped the classic rock image and have thrown some newer stuff in the mix. Although I don't understand how the Strokes, Bloc Party, Matchbook Romance, and the Killers fit under the slogan "Legends of Rock"... not that that matters. At all. The fact that most of the songs are master tracks sort of make the game lose it's live feel, but it's for the better. Now we don't have to listen to that guy that sang Woman anymore. (sigh of relief)

Difficulty: 9/10- if you make more than 10 mistakes in a row on Expert, you're pretty much restarting the song. I can see myself struggling through this game. Yay! A challenge!

Wirelessness: 2/5- More portable, but needs more fine tuning before I'll get a new guitar. There are some notes that didn't register that I knew I hit.

Battles: Bad gimmick. Lame. 0/5. Moving on.

Replay value: 10/10. This game will be played through by me more than 5 times. I'm limiting myself to five songs a day though, so I don't get completely sick of it. (A mistake my friend is making and that I made with GH2.)

HUD: 9/10. More refined in comparison to the 1st and 2nd games, but the star power set up's pretty weird. I don't even know if you can whammy to get more star power. It's sort of weird. I also like the way it tells you when you have a certain # streak.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

So it gets a 73. Not too bad. The first and the second ones would have gotten a higher grade, but this is still going to be a rip-roaring good time once I get it. And there's a 95% chance that the grade's going to go up once I get the game.

[' -'[

No comments: