5/15/10

Barnstock and Dance-A-Thon

Today marked the end of a very long stretch of stress. I can breathe now.

Early this morning, I was mixing and reviewing the mix for the dance. The dance apparently was a success, thank god.

Then mid-afternoon, I headed over to Henry's barn for the concert. It was never-ending, and there wasn't a very good turnout, but it was still a ton of fun. My own set was a horror show, due to the fact that the sound produced between my piano and my voice is very empty. I played accurately, but people were filing outside. I got a fair amount of applause, but I could pretty easily tell it was out of pity. Being up there and playing songs no one's ever heard of on a keyboard without any dynamic range or decent natural sound or sustain just culminates into disaster. I need a digital piano if I'm ever going to keep a crowd's attention by myself for live shows. That set made it official.

The Snoozers set was fun, we played a mix of new Sublime covers and old original stuff. We didn't really prepare at all, but it was still funkyfresh. Give me back dat filet o' fish. Give me dat fish.

The Zanois set was spectacular. Zane's dad broke three drumsticks, there was confetti, and I got this fancy little picture of a monster with flamenumbers coming out of his mouth with the government on: his: brains:

I'm hopin' that I'll be re-collaborating with Zane in the near future. Either I as a guest on his stuff or he as a guest on my stuff er whateve

Dumbledore's Army played extraordinarily well, but it was only in front of a few people. After Zanois' set, people started filtering out. This made sense, since they were by far the greatest act of the night. I was getting ridiculously into the Dumbledore's Army set, it was just constant adrenaline. I don't think I, or anyone, messed up more than a couple of times. It was nearly flawless, EVEN LUNA LOVEGOOD IS OK, that song where I go absolutely apeshit on the drums. And it was very loud and energetic. So I was naturally kind of bummed when we skipped half of our set.

Now I'm going to bed, because a) I need to get up early to go and get stuff for my French trip b) Bobina's coming over and I need my rest, since we're ascending a mountain tomorrow c) these last two weeks are finally... over.

~-~

No comments: