5/2/10

Day 4: Poughkeepsie, NY

Today's Friday. I'm home now, but earlier today I was all the way over in upstate New York, investigating Vassar College. It was a much more beautiful campus than Drexel. My heart kind of swelled when I first saw the campus. Very selective and very expensive, though.

And then I went into the city itself, right next to the campus. My dad had told me that there was a 'not-so-nice part of town', so I thought 'eh, well that's no big deal'.

But the entire city's in shambles, at least from what I saw. I did some research later and found out that 23% of the city's in poverty. So I kind of heaved a heavy sigh at my dashed dreams, realizing that being next to that wouldn't really be the most positive learning environment. I'd feel bad, simply. All high and mighty at my college while right next to me, people are struggling to survive comfortably. It just wouldn't feel right.

There are other colleges, I suppose.

No comments: