4/1/10

Faiblesse

I'm writing a play for Script Frenzy. It's called Faiblesse. Here's the beginning of it.

Act One, Scene One
(A bell rings. LIGHTS UP on a yard in a Wisconsin high school. School’s just ended, people are standing around. ENTER CHRISTOPHE, carrying a moderately heavy backpack. Visibly an outsider. He paces a little bit.)

CHRISTOPHE
Ah. Sweet, fresh air.

(He starts walking over to a group of people, hesitates, and then turns around.)

Homework tonight. Math, English, French. And that report on the Amistad. Shiiiiit. I have to go to Horlitz’s tonight too with everyone. And then paint Easter eggs with Luc... I should work on not overscheduling. To the group he turned away from: But I’m sure YOU guys don’t think I overschedule, do ya?
(One of them hears, gives him a weird look, returns to the clique.)
Bunch of douchebags. People like that only care about two things, their image and their sex life. You have neither. Mais, comme ma famille dit… “C’est. La. Vie.”

(CHRISTOPHE continues mumbling to himself as LIAM enters. LIAM is a lot less outspoken than CHRISTOPHE, but can still barely hold a conversation. He’s wearing a slightly less bulky backpack. You can tell that they‘re close from the get-go.)

LIAM
Hey, Christophe?

CHRISTOPHE
Hey, what?

LIAM
(Points back into the school.)
That was a dick move you pulled in there.

CHRISTOPHE
I wasn’t the one who put the escargot in your locker.
(He grins a mildly sinister grin.)
I just didn’t stop them from doing it.
LIAM
I don’t care who DID it, but I know you were a part of it. If we’re all friends, why do we always pull shit like this to one another?

CHRISTOPHE
Well, first of all, it’s April Fool’s Day, you idiot. Second of all, revenge is fun. You’ll learn that the more you hang out with us. Third of all, are you questioning the integrity of our friendship? I mean, you can’t hate us permanently for this one little stunt, that’d be a complete overreaction. You’ve known Horlitz since 5th grade, for Christ’s sake, and he was the one that put the goddamn snails in your locker in the first place!

LIAM
Do you always find it necessary to try and prove people wrong?

CHRISTOPHE
It’s empowering, you should try it sometime. Besides, you deserved it for walking in during Fitch’s date.

LIAM
THAT WAS AN ACCIDENT!
(He heaves a defeated sigh.)
But whatever you say, nothing I say can reverse the stench of dead snail from my locker. (Pause.) You going tonight?

CHRISTOPHE
Yeah, but I might be running a little late. I’m biking for a couple hours first.

LIAM
Biking? Do you EVER go inside?

CHRISTOPHE
Only when it’s necessary. I’d much rather be outside than in. It’s more open, and I always feel like I have to be DOING something inside, y’know?

LIAM
I don’t. I really don’t. Whatever, I’ll see you later. (He EXITS.)

CHRISTOPHE
Haha… I’m great. I figured he would have picked up on the snails coming from me, but I guess not. He’s gonna learn quickly to not trust me or anyone. He’ll learn.
(He sits on a bench and starts waiting for someone.)
Where the hell’s Godot? I need a ride home. And I really hope my parents aren’t home so I don’t have to say hi. Not after last night.
(He falls silent, and kind of rubs his left shoulder like it’s injured.)
Not after last night.
(ENTER FITCH AND ROLAND. Both have an air of self-importance despite the fact that nobody likes them. Dressed like preps but anti-preps, these two are filled with contradictions.)

~-~

1 comment:

A concerned ex student said...

so cristophe is me becuase i prove people wrong. you becuase you always bitch about how you are too busy. ben chase becuase he likes being outside. and everyone in our group becuase we all are mean to eachother. and liam is supposed to be you but he is too innocent, so you should change him into nick rocci since he is the most innocent person we hang out with. was that all right?