6/26/10

Turn my head/into sound

Well, last night ended weird.

I left a pretty typical post (into which I put almost no effort.) and then downloaded the album Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Picture below:

I started listening to it, got halfway through pretty unaffected. And then I closed my eyes and turned the volume up for a few minutes. This, my friends, is the first time I've felt my whole soul get touched by music. I started reliving every aspect of my past, memories that I had figured were completely lost. When I was 10 and got my caricature at Disney, only I demanded that my parents fork out the extra money to have it done in color. I nearly through a hissy fit in public. When I was 7, and went sledding down the makeshift hill my dad would make out of my swingset every year. In 3rd grade, when I sat around a swingset with a couple of people and heard a frightening story about a murderer that stuck in my memory for sometime afterwards. My imaginary friend Kevin, my stuffed polar bear T-T, my 'pet skunk' Skunky. Some of the many. And I realized that, we can keep on living our childhood in our adulthood. We can keep imagining, and we can keep playing, and we can keep exploring. It's just a new phase of that, and I realized that life's not as bad as I used to think. And life doesn't need to be linear and grey. We can experience new things every day and exist outside of what's normal and rational and linear and grey.

So having realized this, after the album finished, I just kind of sat there with my eyes closed for a couple of minutes, said goodnight to my dad, walked into my room, looked around a little bit in the dark

and cried. I cried. And I lay down on my bed and cried some more, as more and more lost memories kept coming back. I relived my whole life, it felt. Some of the crying turned to laughter and smiling. And then the emotions left and I slept.

Listen to this album (loud) and see if the same things happen to you.

~-~

1 comment:

alexandra said...

I think this is one of my favorite posts of yours. I'll have to try it out.