3/16/10

An accidental adventure

Today was weird. A good weird.

We were at Phillips Exeter Academy today, Bixby, Henry, Nick Rocci, Rob and I, and we were playing basketball at the court that they had. Bixby drove us there, and then left to go to his physical therapy appointment. The four of us kept playing basketball a little while longer and then we walked outside towards the music rooms.

The doors were locked when we got to the music rooms, so we headed back outside. A campus police car drove up next to us as we were walking back towards the gym.

"Are you kids with the school?"
"Ehh... no." Rob spoke up. He was the one that did all of the talking for us. Thank God. If there's one thing that he's good at doing, it's thinking on his feet.
The campus policeman made a motion for us to come towards his car. We did so.
"What are you guys doing here?"
"We were just going back into the gym. Our friend dropped us off here."
"You already went INTO the gym?"
"Yes."
"Are you guys with any students that go here?"
"Well, we were waiting for one of our friends that goes here to play some basketball." A lie. Chicky wasn't gonna be meeting up with us.
"Ahh. What's his name?"
"Ben Chick."
"Who is he?"
"He's a... guy."
"No, who is he?"
"He's a junior that goes here."
"Alright, well. This is private property, and students are only allowed to have one guest. He should know that."
"Alright, well if it's OK, we left some stuff in there and we need to go get it. Can we do that."
"Sure. I'll be waiting here for you when you get back."

We got our stuff inside and headed back out as quickly as possible. We then approached the car again with some hesitation.

"Alright, so I did a background check, and Ben Chick DOES go here, he graduates in '11. Can I have your names?"

We then gave him our names, and apologized. We weren't really sure why he needed our names, but then Rob realized that if we were to go in there again without a student, we'd be in deep shit.

We then took off, with no real direction. With no vehicle, we had nowhere to go, so we just started walking into the town of Exeter. At first we started looking for another court, but no one in the town knew where another court was, much to our bewilderment and dismay. So we just wandered back and forth the downtown stretch, occasionally stopping at a bench to rest. We ran into the same people over and over again, which led to many awkward encounters and re-encounters. Henry tried calling Bixby multiple times, but there was never any answer. We were getting concerned, or at least I was getting concerned, that we were gonna be stuck in Exeter and we wouldn't catch Bixby. After a long hour and a half of wandering, Rob spotted Bixby turning in towards the school, and he, Nick, and Henry started to run while I walked. Eventually, I started running once I was finally sure that it was actually Bixby. I don't think I've ever been so happy to be in the Bixbus than I was at that moment.

Anyways, after that we headed to a town to look for job applications. I got one, and I'm gonna apply online at two other stores. Hopefully, one accepts me. *fingers crossed*

So that was my big event of the day. I'm now very tired and sore from walking, so I'm gonna cut it off there. Have a good one, whoever you are.

~-~

No comments: