1/30/10

gimme shelter.

for 4 hours today, 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM, several members of my school and I were volunteers here:


Our main tasks were to prepare food boxes for families of five to six people, organize the food that was delivered, and make sure that people took just what they were supposed to. (my station was the dessert station: you can take something from the shelf, and something from the box. no sir, just ONE thing from the shelf.) some people managed to get away with taking a couple of things off the shelf, but I didn't stop them. Most of the food came from a local supermarket, and a pretty good amount of it was fresh and healthy stuff. (vegetables and fruits galore...)

I was expecting to see a lot of sad, embarrassed faces take the food that was offered, but instead they were generally happy and friendly. I managed to make conversation with a few of them. One was forced to come into the shelter 10 weeks out of the year because he could only work 20 hours a week at his job during the winter. Two people that seemed to be a couple couldn't decide whether they wanted a black forest cake or a cheesecake. They asked me which one I would take, to which I replied the black forest cake, because cheesecake makes me nauseous.

This all gave me an entirely new perspective of those in need. It not only made me appreciate what I have more, it also made me realize that a lot of what we can donate goes to nice and grateful people who just happen to be horribly down on their luck.

Also, during a work break, we got into this incredibly indepth conversation about all of these conspiracy theories and weird thinkings. Like, how someone fell asleep in the middle of a crop circle once and it doubled in size the next morning, and how 9/11 could really be a hoax, and how since thoughts could potentially hold matter and enough people hold belief in a God, God could potentially exist due to our thoughts combining to produce a single entity. That was fun.
---
A little more work on my mix has been completed today, and I think I know the direction that it's going in, which is quite the excitement.

I must be going, I'm seeing the Hurt Locker and playing Mario Kart with a couple friends.
'til tomorrow!

~-----~
Post script: I took a nap today for the first time in forever. This is how it made me feel.

No comments: